Impacts of abuse
Rape and Sexual Abuse can affect people in all different ways. Not everyone is the same and no experience of abuse is the same. However, there are some common ways in which people can be impacted.
For example, you might experience:
- panic attacks
- Feel angry, ashamed, sad, worthless, scared or tearful.
- Find it difficult to feel or show emotion.
- Suffer from disturbing and intrusive thoughts and memories.
- Have unexplained physical symptoms, including pain and illness.
- Feel like you get relief by harming yourself - maybe by cutting, burning, neglecting your needs and health, or drinking and smoking too much.
You may feel some, all, or none of these things. Don’t be frightened to talk about how you are being impacted as this will help you to cope and to recover.
You may also suffer with flashbacks – A flashback is a vivid memory of a traumatic event. They can be very frightening and come without warning. You may feel that the event is taking place in that moment and you may feel as though time is standing still.
We can help you to understand flashbacks and how to cope with them.
Follow this link for more information on flashbacks.